As enterprises in every industry sector look to technology to facilitate their own transformations, the opportunities for technologists with business savvy have broadened considerably.
What business technologists are watching trend:
- So-called “exponential” technologies including robotics, virtual and augmented reality (VR) (AR), 3-D printing, and artificial intelligence (AI) are opening up significant areas of opportunity.
- Robotic Process Automation is the technology that allows anyone today to configure computer software, or a “robot” to emulate and integrate the actions of a human interacting within digital systems to execute a business process.
- Cognitive technologies such as machine learning, natural language processing, and speech and pattern recognition are being embedded into software applications, imbuing big data with superior capabilities.
- Blockchain, the foundation for the digital currency bitcoin, has enormous implications not only for the financial services industry, but for any company that manages a large amount of transaction data.
- The Internet of Things has only just begun to reveal its promise.
- “Anything as a service” offerings; ones that allow usage-based consumption, are likely to emerge.
- Cybersecurity products and services are another area with a bright future.